This West African favourite: Jollof Rice, turns heads and taste buds everywhere and with everyone who tries it. Add this to your recipe arsenal and you will quickly rise up the event and recreational hosting ranks.
2 – 3
1 hr 40 mins
2 1/2 cups of Long Grain Rice
2 Whole Red Onions
1 Large Bell Pepper
2 Whole Fresh Tomatoes
2 Bay Leaves
3/4 tablespoon of dried Thyme
3 Stock Cubes
1 Scotch bonnet
1/2 Tube Tomato Purée
1 tablespoon of Jollof Rice Seasoning
1 tablespoon of Jumbo Seasoning
1/4 teaspoon of Salt
- Add the bell pepper, tomatoes, scotch bonnet, 1 onion cut in chunks and 1/4 cup of water into a blender.
- Blend or blitz until the mixture creates a sauce that’s nice and smooth.
- Place a saucepan on medium heat.
- Add 1/4 cup of cooking oil, 1 onion diced and sauté onions until they are soft and light.
- Now add 1/2 a tube of tomato purée and fry together for about 5 mins.
- Add the blended sauce to the mixture and mix it up.
- Add the 2 bay leaves, 3/4 tablespoon of dried thyme, 1 tablespoon of Jollof rice seasoning, 1 tablespoon of Jumbo Seasoning, 1/4 teaspoon of salt and 3 stock cubes. Cook for about 10 – 15 mins or until the sauce becomes thick.
- Now add 2 1/2 cups of long grain rice [make sure you wash it thoroughly], and 1/4 of the same cup of water, until it literary sits on-top of the rice.
- Cover it up and let it cook for 1 hour to 1 hour 20mins on medium to low heat. Make sure to check on it every 20 mins.
- That’s it. Add your favourite garnish and meat if you like. Try it with our Spicy Peri Peri Chicken Recipe.